Oregon State University Sessions
Lance Albertson, Director, OSU Open Source LabWatch Session » Session Description »
Multi-node testing with Kitchen has long been a requested feature, however it’s outside of the scope of Kitchen. Multi-node testing is useful for testing complex services such as replicated database servers, Ceph clusters and OpenStack to name a few.
Some examples of how this is useful:
- Test to ensure your replicated database servers can fail over properly
- Test an upgrade between versions of Ceph or Openstack where doing this in an “All-in-One” might have differences with multiple nodes interacting
- Ensure all components can communicate properly with firewalls
At the OSUOSL, we developed a method for doing this using a combination of Kitchen, Terraform, InSpec and OpenStack (however any public cloud supported by Terraform will also work).
This session will cover the following topics:
- Why this is important and the problem we’re trying to solve
- Discuss what tools we used
- How you can replicate this for your environment
- Recorded demo using a real-world example